The Marauders' Map, a magical item introduced in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, has the powers to show where people are and what they're doing. You can make your own Marauder's Map following these simple steps.
- Get a piece of plain A3 paper. Soak it over in black tea and leave it to dry. That way it looks like a piece of old parchment.
- Draw a plan of your house. You might want to use light sketching pencil for this step, in case you make a mistake. If you find it difficult, get an adult to help you.
- Use the computer to make banners (using Microsoft Word). Make twenty banners altogether. To colour the banners, click on them, click on the paint brush, and choose "texture". Select "old parchment" and click "apply". Repeat that step for all 20 banners.
- Create text boxes and write the names of your family members on banners. Only one name for each banner. Don't worry if there are banners left behind, just print the sheet with the banners out.
- Cut out all the banners. Keep the empty banners in a suitable container for later use. If a friend or other family member comes to visit, just write their name on a banner straight away. If banners run out, you can always make new ones on the computer.
- Find out where each family member is at the moment. Using Blu-Tack, hold each banner with the name on it at the location the family member is located in. For example, Sally is in the bathroom. Find your bathroom on the map and put Sally's banner there.
- As each family member move to a different room, you can move the banners around so their banners go wherever they go.
- Hang your Marauders' Map up somewhere where everyone can see. That way, not only you and your family can know where each other is, you can actually get some of that amazing magical Harry Potter style into your house!